While telehealth or remote counseling is not a new phenomenon, it’s widespread use is definitely new to most. Yet, the Covid-19 pandemic has made caution a priority and change a necessity. The counseling dynamic is certainly no exception. At a time when safety is paramount, social distancing recommendations and stay-at-home orders preclude traditional in-person sessions. As a result, a pivot to remote counseling is required. However, the demand for such an adjustment has prompted a lot of reservations.
Thoughts along the lines of “I have never tried it before, I don’t know how it works, and I’m not sure if I’ll feel comfortable doing it,” were common- at least in my head. Yet, after a couple weeks of doing it, I have found it’s not only a viable alternative, it actually has many advantages. Perhaps most importantly, the substance or significance of sessions hasn’t changed, only the setting has. I have even had requests from clients to continue using the online video platform for sessions beyond when prudence deems it necessary. In the spirit of David Letterman, I created the following list for those who have yet to try remote counseling and may be asking yourself the same questions I was.
The Top Ten Advantages to telehealth or remote counseling from the comfort of your own home
10. Continuity of care – Remote sessions aid in overcoming disruption in other aspects of our daily lives by helping to maintain a therapeutic connection and progress with counseling at a time when they are greatly needed.
9. Less traffic and a better parking spot – Guaranteed.
8. Expanded features – Options such as 3-way calling, screen sharing, text while chatting, and direct pay (all without any special software) help to streamline and simplify the process. It truly is “1-Click Counseling”
7. Better snacks – Therapists consider themselves giving people – but let’s face it, we’re kind of chintzy when comes to providing snacks. And we just can’t compete with the quarantine munchies you have at home.
6. Accessibility – Appointments can be kept across greater distances, fit into tighter time frames, and allow for more affordable options. All things that are a priority now more than ever.
5. Exclusive access to your own personal restroom facilities and a fully customizable climate-controlled session room – So there’s that.
4. Online disinhibition effect – Studies show many people are actually more at ease and comfortable being open in a virtual setting than in person.
3. Footwear is optional – Emphasis – Footwear is optional.
2. Peace of mind – At a time when peace of mind is in such short supply, both personal safety and wellness can be achieved from the comfort and security of your own home.
1. You can literally mute your therapist – Any time they start to say anything annoying such as “Maybe,” “Feelings,” or “[insert dramatic pause for effect]…You can do this,” all you have to do is hit the mute button. It really takes tuning out to a whole new level.
Kidding aside, we’ve all been forced to make sacrifices – but mental health shouldn’t be one of them. Staying healthy doesn’t just mean staying home, it also means staying connected. There are plenty of barriers to navigate during a pandemic, but technology shouldn’t be one of them. When it comes to remote counseling, if you have a phone, you’re a fit. It really is that simple. Whether you’re looking to continue counseling or are considering starting, at Inspired Counseling Solutions, we’d be happy to answer your questions and create a “1-Click Counseling” solution for you. All you have to do is pick yourself the best seat in the house and we’ll deliver counseling to your door- without you ever having to open it.